I got a letter a few weeks ago stating that Medtronic have made a few improvements to their Enlite sensors:
- Increased comfort; The sensor adhesive has been ‘optimised’ to reduce irritation and the tubing around the electrode has been removed to reduce inserted volume by 80%
- More consistent performance; The electrode design has been modified
- More reliable data connection; The connection between the transmitter and sensor has been improved
I was looking forward to these changes and I finally managed to get hold of my new sensors this week.
The only difference to the external packaging was a yellow “new” sticker
This is the (now tubing-less) insertion needle. There isn’t very much inserted that isn’t required for the sensor any longer. The electrode does look slightly different to the old model.
The insertion went well with no pain at all. One thing I only noticed after I inserted the new sensor is that one of the few problems I did have with the old Enlite sensors has been fixed! Previously, the top of the tape which held the transmitter down used to be sticky which meant that it was topped with a small piece of plaster backing. The corners of this used to scratch at my skin and make it irritated. The adhesive on the top of this strip has now gone, so no more scratchy plastic!
I’ve been using this sensor for a few hours now, and so far it seems spot on. I’m hoping that it will be even better than my previous Enlites!